Almost 9 out of 10 child hospital tooth extractions are due to tooth decay. Childcare settings are encouraged to support families to care for their children's teeth, by encouraging parents to swap sugary foods and drinks, brushing teeth regularly and encouraging children to drink from an open cup or free flow cup. We have put together some useful resources and links to help promote good dental health within your setting.
Training and e-learning
- Children's Oral Health Advice, E-learning | NHS: This free e-learning programme provides information and advice about children’s oral health.
- Dental Health E-presentation | Healthy Under 5s
- National Smile Month | Oral Health Foundation: A great campaign to help promote good oral health to families. National Smile Month 2020 takes place between 18 May and 18 June.
Advice on Dummies
- Dummies and learning to talk | National Literacy Trust
- Supporting your child to wean off of bottles and dummies | Institute of Health Visiting
Dental health resources and useful websites
- Drinks and cups for babies and young children | NHS
- Looking after your babies teeth | NHS
- How to look after your children's teeth | NHS
- Dental buddy, downloadable resources | The Oral Health Foundation: Dental Buddy educational resources for Early Years Foundation stage including lesson plans and presentations
- Low sugar drinks for kids | Change 4 Life
- Food facts, sugar | Change 4 Life