Eating well is essential for children in their early years to ensure healthy growth and development. Good nutrition in early years is more important now than ever. Early years settings provide an ideal opportunity to encourage young children to eat well and learn about food. This not only helps protect their health while young but also sets the foundations for their future health and wellbeing.
Menu planning and meal ideas
- Eat Better Start better Voluntary Food and Drink Guidelines for Early Years Settings | The Foundation Years
- Menu planning tool (full menu) | Healthy Under 5s
- Menu planning tool (snack only) | Healthy Under 5s
- Two week example menu | Healthy Under 5s
- Healthy breakfast ideas pdf | Healthy Under 5s
- Healthy snack ideas pdf | Healthy Under 5s
- Healthy lunchbox ideas pdf | Healthy Under 5s
- Portion sizes pdf | Healthy Under 5s
- Detailed portion size guide (9 months - 6 years) | Healthy Under 5s
- Meal ideas | Change 4 Life
- Recipes and meal ideas | NHS Start 4 Life
SUGAR SMART is a campaign run by Sustain that aims to help organisations reduce the amount of sugar we all consume.
Once you sign up you will receive a ‘Sugar Smart UK: registration confirmation’ email. Your account is now active and you can explore the Sugar Smart website and pledge your SUGAR SMART actions! You can choose from 14 pledges to work towards. Pick at least 3 pledges to become an official SUGAR SMART setting. Things such as set a SUGAR SMART challenge, replace sugary items with healthier options, install water points and promote drinking water as the number one drink and most importantly promote and spread the word to reduce the amount of sugar in all our diets.
Healthy Start is a Government scheme that offers vouchers and vitamins to those families on a low income, the information on this programme should be shared with families regularly.